Friday, June 19, 2009

I'm on the Road!!

I left the "Los Amigos" camp in Show Low at 7:00 am after having breakfast with Patricia, Judy and Jon. Patricia made cinnamon rolls. Delicious. I rode up to the end of the street and there was Joy Hopkins, Don Riddle and Tom Lewis waiting to say their goodbyes They wished me a safe journey and I rode away toward the highway.



The 5 miles out on the dirt road wasn't too dusty at this time of the morning. I got on Hwy 61 and turned East to go to the Petrified Forest Nat. Monument. I stopped at the museum and did some looking around at all the petrified wood. You are not allowed to pick up any wood at the preserve. They said how many tons are taken every year, but I don't remember the number. When I was here with my family in 1957 we picked up a few pieces, but it was legal then.


Not far from the visiters center I came across a ranger cleaning one of the kiosk glass. There was an old car there that I guess is one that didn't make it years ago.

Next I rode the 28 mile loop thru the park to the Painted Desert. I took a couple of the hikes there, and met a couple of guys riding Harleys. Both named John. One was from Spain and the other from England. They had rented the bikes in Chicago and were riding to California.

After a little sightseeing I left for Canyon De Chelle. (Pronounced d'shay) I arrived about 1:30 and set up my camp.



Gotta have my coffee!!


I'll tell you about my tour of Canyon De Chelle in my next blog. Bye for now.

No comments: