Friday, June 19, 2009

Canyon De Chelle

After I set up my tent at Canyon De Chelle, I went over to the visitors center to book a tour through the canyon. The last tour of the day had already left, so I booked one for the next morning at 9:00am. I was walking around doing the tourist thing and met Rob and his very pretty wife Deborah. They were also riding a Harley and were staying at the motel. They were from New York city and were relocating to Taos, NM.

I met them again the next morning at the restaurant and Deborah invited me to sit with them. They were a very interesting couple and I really enjoyed talking with them.


I took the 1/2 day tour of the canyon and was sure glad I didn't take the all day. 4 hours of bouncing around in the back of a converted pickup was enough for me. It was an interesting trip with views of a lot of old Indian ruins and petroglyphs. Some places on the sides of the rock walls you can see where they have cut foot holds in the rocks for climbing.

The Indians live in the Canyon in the summer time and grow crops and raise cattle, then they move out on top of the rims in the winter. The tour guide ( Dave) said that it was so they would be closer to the stores and schools.








Wildlife? Oh, maybe not.


After the tour I wandered around the campground for a while visiting with the other campers. I met the campground host ( Jack) and after finding out that he was a single person I told him about the Loners On Wheels RV club ( He was too old for WINS, sorry Sharon) I gave him their WEB site as all my membership applications were back in the motor home. He was very interested in the Club. I also told him about the Slabs for winter camping.

No comments: