Friday, June 19, 2009

Snow in the Mountains

I left Canyon de Chelle in the morning (after stopping for breakfast) and headed for Silverton, CO.


I wanted to find Camp Hale where my older brother trained as a ski trooper in WW2. I rode in the rain most of the way to Durango and from Cortez to Durango it came down hard. I was going up Hwy 550 to Silverton when I found out that they had 3 inches of snow in Silverton, so I went into the Haviland Lake campground and set up camp.

I walked around the area and saw some kids playing with a snake. They said it was a harmless water snake. OK.


Mama duck was on the lake with 10 ducklings. It was a real cold night and I didn't sleep to good with all the rain and thunder & lightning.


Thankfully it had cleared by morning so I packed up and headed for Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass. It was a real nice ride going up the pass and there was snow on the sides of the rode at the summit.



I decided to stay South of Denver because of the severe weather in that area, and headed across toward Kansas from Walsenburg, CO. Not much to see going across Kansas except grain elevators.


I stopped for the night in an RV park at Oakley, KS. where I met Arlien Steiner. She was on her way to Denver to visit Barbara Brown and then to Susanville, CA. to visit relatives.

No comments: